Tuesday, November 01, 2005

In Defense of L, Part II

L threw me the only birthday party I ever had for non-family members. When I turned 10 (and she was 17) we invited a few of my girlfriends over for an afternoon cake-and-punch party. Neither of us really knew what we were doing, but she gave it her best shot. There was cake and punch and sitting around in a circle on the patio, talking. I don't think we knew there should be other activities. After my guests left, L cooked dinner for me and the rest of the family. She burned the chicken. I was mad at her for that. Thinking about that still stings. If we ever speak again I'll tell her I'm sorry for being an ungrateful brat.

3 comments:

frog said...

You weren't an ungrateful brat. You were 10.

Sandalou said...

If it's still bothering you, why not send her a note? Do it for you.

Sandalou said...

Just went back and read all of it. The note really will have to be for you. Your sister is sick and there is little hope that she will change. People with NPD rarely do. It's not you, it's never been you. I'm sorry that you have to continue dealing with it.