Monday, June 20, 2005

Name That Tune

When I made my weekly phone call yesterday, Mom was listening to her new CD from my sister J. It's a compilation of different duets sung by country artists. Neither of us had much to say yesterday, so it was mostly small talk and reminiscences of past Father's Days.

Every so often she'd pipe up with, "Who's this singing now?"

She can't see well enough to read the CD cover. So she doesn't know who she's listening to.

Since I couldn't hear her stereo I had to tell her I didn't know. Repeatedly.

"Oh you know," she coaxed after I gave up for the third of fourth time. "It's that girl who had all those brothers. Oh, what's her name? Oh! Osmond! She's an Osmond! Who's she singing with?"

Again, couldn't hear. Since I was sitting at my computer, I Googled it by the name of the song.

"Is it Dan Seals?"

"Oh I don't know. I've never heard of him."

"1985?"

"Yeah. That sounds about right."

She likes me to call every weekend, even if this is all we have to say to each other.

No comments: