- My uncle (Mom's brother) died of pneumonia and its complications about a month ago.
- My best friend had a "possible heart attack" in December and now has suspicious things on her breast and in her armpit that required an MRI on Monday (results due today).
- Same friend's mother recently took a bad fall that caused head injuries. She's in a nursing home and no longer recognizes her kids. She can't get out of bed or feed herself without assistance any more. She's in her 80s.
- My mother-in-law (89) is up in Washington seeing a specialist for diabetes-related vein and foot problems that will likely result in amputation of her foot and possibly part of her leg.
- The guy who manages my building at work -- a sweet guy and good friend -- just went through some very invasive tests for possible prostate cancer. Results soon.
- My friend's 13 year-old cat was just diagnosed with kidney cancer and isn't expected to live more than a month.
- An online friend's dad died suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm not sure of his age, but my pal is only in her mid-30s.
- I just this morning found out that one of our nearest neighbors died of liver cancer in November. He was only 56.
- All the stuff involving jobs, bodies and cars we've been going through since August.
Edited to add: And now Molly Ivins is dead. How I'll miss her amazing work and incredible humor. Like I said earlier today, the reminders suck.